No Other Land director Hamdan Ballal says violent attack was ‘revenge for our movie’

Palestinian filmmaker and Oscar winner for the documentary "No Other Land" Hamdan Ballal poses for a picture with his Oscar, as he recovers after Israeli settlers attacked him at home, in his village of Susya in the south of the occupied West Bank on March 26, 2025.
Hamdan Ballal has spoken out after being beaten (Picture: AFP or licensors)

Hamdan Ballal has spoken out about being targeted after being ‘handcuffed, blindfolded, and beaten’ while detained by the Israeli military.

The director, who won an Oscar this year for No Other Land for best documentary feature, was attacked by 10 to 20 Israeli settlers earlier this week.

Ballal’s co-director, Yuval Abraham, tweeted on X: ‘A group of settlers just lynched Hamdan Ballal, co-director of our film No Other Land.

‘They beat him and he has injuries in his head and stomach, bleeding. Soldiers invaded the ambulance he called, and took him. No sign of him since.’

Although the director was later set free, he has now spoken about the ordeal, claiming he was deliberately targeted and believed he was going to die.

‘They threw me to the ground, and the settler started hitting me on the head. Then a soldier also began beating me; with the butt of his rifle, he struck me on the head. After that, he fired his weapon in the air. I don’t understand Hebrew, but I gathered that he said the next rifle shot would hit me. In that moment, I thought I was going to die,’ he told The Guardian.

He added: ‘It was a revenge for our movie. I heard the voices of the soldiers, they were laughing about me … I heard [the word] “Oscar”.’

{“@context”:”https://schema.org”,”@type”:”VideoObject”,”name”:”Metro.co.uk”,”duration”:”T29S”,”thumbnailUrl”:”https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2025/03/25/08/96537281-0-image-a-10_1742889975940.jpg”,”uploadDate”:”2025-03-25T08:02:12+0000″,”description”:”Israeli settlers beat up Hamdan Ballal, one of the Palestinian co-directors of the Oscar-winning film No Other Land, in the occupied West Bank before he was detained by the Israeli military, according to his fellow directors and other witnesses. nIn the same village a group of 10-20 settlers assaulted activists with the Center for Jewish Nonviolence, smashing car windows and slashing tires.”,”contentUrl”:”https://videos.metro.co.uk/video/met/2025/03/25/1945427490890794411/480x270_MP4_1945427490890794411.mp4″,”height”:270,”width”:480}

To view this video please enable JavaScript, and consider upgrading to a web
browser that
supports HTML5
video

Up Next

window.addEventListener(‘metroVideo:relatedVideosCarouselLoaded’, function(data) {
if (typeof(data.detail) === ‘undefined’ || typeof(data.detail.carousel) === ‘undefined’ || typeof(data.detail.carousel.el_) === ‘undefined’) {
return;
}
var player = data.detail.carousel.el_;
var container = player.closest(‘.metro-video-player’);
var placeholder = container.querySelector(‘.metro-video-player__up-next-placeholder’);
container.removeChild(placeholder);
container.classList.add(‘metro-video-player–related-videos-loaded’);
});

A spokesperson for the Israel Defense Forces denied to the outlet that Ballal was beaten in detention.

‘The claims that the detainees were beaten during the night at an IDF detention facility were found to be entirely baseless.

‘IDF forces facilitated medical treatment for the detainees after the initial transfer of the suspects to the Israel police, and throughout the night, the detainees remained in a military detention facility while handcuffed in accordance with operational protocol.’

It was reported that the filmmaker was blindfolded and detained in the Israeli-occupied West Bank area.

Palestinian filmmaker and Oscar winner for the documentary "No Other Land" Hamdan Ballal shows his bodily injuries after Israeli settlers attacked him at home in his village of Susya in the south of the occupied West Bank on March 26, 2025. Israeli police released Ballal on March 25, after detaining him a day earlier for "hurling rocks" following what activists described as an attack by settlers in the occupied West Bank. (Photo by HAZEM BADER / AFP) (Photo by HAZEM BADER/AFP via Getty Images)
Ballal shows his bodily injuries after Israeli settlers attacked him (Picture: AFP via Getty Images
Oscar-winning Palestinian filmmaker detained by Israeli military after being beaten up, say activists
The director was seen with his eyes covered being led into a van (Picture: AP)

Just hours before his release, Abraham revealed on X: ‘After the assault, Hamdan was handcuffed and blindfolded all night in an army base while two soldiers beat him up on the floor, his lawyer Leah Tsemel said after speaking with him just now. He’s still held in the Kiryat Arba police station.’

Abraham shared videos on X of the alleged attackers, claiming the group continues to target American activists.

A witness who saw the scene told The New York Times: ‘Soldiers just stood around,’ he added: ‘Later, when we got there, we saw his blood on the ground.’

The Israel Defence Forces (IDF) told Sky News: ‘Several terrorists hurled rocks at Israeli citizens, damaging their vehicles near Susya.’

Hamdan Ballal holds the Oscar for Best Documentary Feature Film for "No Other Land" at the Governors Ball following the Oscars show at the 97th Academy Awards in Hollywood, Los Angeles, California, U.S., March 2, 2025. REUTERS/Mike Blake
No Other Land follows a group of Palestinian activists (Picture: REUTERS)

They reported that there was ‘mutual rock-hurling between Palestinians and Israelis at the scene.

‘In response, the forces apprehended three Palestinians suspected of hurling rocks at them, as well as an Israeli civilian involved in the violent confrontation. The detainees were taken for further questioning by the Israeli police. An Israeli citizen was injured in the incident and was evacuated to receive medical treatment.

‘Contrary to claims, no Palestinian was apprehended from inside an ambulance.’

The incident comes as the Israeli military has been raiding the West Bank area in what is said to be an effort to crack down on militant groups.

Basel Adra, Rachel Szor, Hamdan Ballal and Yuval Abraham pose with the Oscar for Best Documentary Feature Film for "No Other Land" in the Oscars photo room at the 97th Academy Awards in Hollywood, Los Angeles, California, U.S., March 2, 2025. REUTERS/Daniel Cole
Basel Adra, Rachel Szor, Hamdan Ballal and Yuval Abraham (L-R) directed the documentary (Picture: REUTERS)
{“@context”:”https://schema.org”,”@type”:”VideoObject”,”name”:”Metro.co.uk”,”duration”:”T2M10S”,”thumbnailUrl”:”https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2025/03/03/13/95782925-0-image-a-4_1741010063346.jpg”,”uploadDate”:”2025-03-03T13:55:02+0000″,”description”:”An Oscar-winning documentary offering a powerful view of the destruction of the West Bank and the unlikely friendship between a Palestinian filmmaker and an Israeli journalist.”,”contentUrl”:”https://videos.metro.co.uk/video/met/2025/03/03/1492674880051787314/480x270_MP4_1492674880051787314.mp4″,”height”:270,”width”:480}

To view this video please enable JavaScript, and consider upgrading to a web
browser that
supports HTML5
video

Up Next

window.addEventListener(‘metroVideo:relatedVideosCarouselLoaded’, function(data) {
if (typeof(data.detail) === ‘undefined’ || typeof(data.detail.carousel) === ‘undefined’ || typeof(data.detail.carousel.el_) === ‘undefined’) {
return;
}
var player = data.detail.carousel.el_;
var container = player.closest(‘.metro-video-player’);
var placeholder = container.querySelector(‘.metro-video-player__up-next-placeholder’);
container.removeChild(placeholder);
container.classList.add(‘metro-video-player–related-videos-loaded’);
});

No Other Land follows a Palestinian activist Adra, who has been pushing back against the forced displacement of his people by Israel’s military in Masafer Yatta, a region in the West Bank, since he was a child.

The film documents his home is destroyed as soldiers tear down homes and evict communities so they can construct a military firing zone.

Filmed over four years between 2019 and 2023, the film utilises an archive of videos filmed by Adra’s family and neighbours over 20 years.

Got a story?

If you’ve got a celebrity story, video or pictures get in touch with the Metro.co.uk entertainment team by emailing us celebtips@metro.co.uk, calling 020 3615 2145 or by visiting our Submit Stuff page – we’d love to hear from you.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *